Consommé gelée with quail egg and foie
Ingredients for 4 people:FOR THE STOCK: 1.5 kg veal and pork bones - 3 L water - 50 ml brandy or similar - 2 leeks - 1 turnip - 1 onion - 2 carrots - 2 sticks of celery - Salt. TO CLARIFY: 2 egg whites - 4 sheets of gelatine per litre of stock - Quail eggs - Diced foie - 5 g grated tinned truffle
Meat dishes22 November 2018
The kids can help with this recipe by doing jobs such as filtering the consommé, stirring when we clarify, boiling the quail eggs and dicing the foie. They can also put the gelatine in cold water before we use it. It is important for them to taste it and check it for salt to educate their palates.
1. We set the oven at 220º and add the onion cut into two, together with the veal and pork bones for about 20 minutes.
2. We put the toasted bones in a pan and brown the onion with the other washed and chopped vegetables. We add the brandy, flambé and leave it to reduce completely. We add the water and cook on medium heat for approximately two and a half hours, skimming from time to time (45 minutes in pressure cooker).
3. We strain the stock and leave it in the fridge to cool. When it is cold, we remove the fat from the surface.
4. We heat the stock and add the whites, stirring not beating, and when it comes to a boil, we bring it down with a bit of cold water. We continue stirring until the whites have set and the impurities come to the surface, which we must remove with a skimmer. We remove the stock and strain it by passing it through a cheesecloth or strainer with a wet cloth.
5. We check the salt and strain the gelatine that we have previously soaked in cold water before adding it.
6. To finish, we pour the consommé into the dishes we are going to serve it in and we leave to cool in the fridge until it is jelly-like. We serve with laminated quail egg, grated truffle and diced foie.