Dalgona Coffee: The new stylish coffee from Korea
We tell you what ingredients you need and how to make Dalgona coffee in a few simple steps, the new stylish coffee from Korea. Take note!
TRIED AND TESTED29 June 2020
If one thing has become clear about living in a globalised world, it is the influence of the gastronomy from other countries on our cooking. When we have already perfected our usual repertoire of typical dishes from countries that are thousands of kilometres away, suddenly we get recipes for desserts and concoctions derived from them to sweeten our lives.
It has been the fashionable recipe on social networks during lockdown. Without a lot of mystery in its quick and easy preparation, this recipe which originates from South Korea, has gone viral in recent months. Its name was coined by the South Korean actor, Jung Il-Woo, who compared the taste of this coffee to dalgona caramel, a traditional Korean sweet.
How to make Dalgona coffee: step by step
You only need 4 ingredients:
• 2 teaspoons of instant coffee
• 2 teaspoons of sugar, coconut sugar is the best
• 1 glass of cold milk
• ½ glass of hot water
- Mix the instant coffee, sugar and hot water in a bowl so the sugar and coffee fully dissolve.
- Once dissolved, whisk well with a kitchen whisk or blender until you get a creamy and consistent texture.
- Now, put the cold milk in a glass, if you want to give it an “icy” touch, you can add ice to the milk.
- Carefully take an ice cream scoop or small ladle and place the cream of coffee on top of the cold milk. It's ready to drink!
Thermomix Dalgona Coffee
- For the cream, 3-4 glasses:
• 5-10 g instant coffee
• 30-40 g sugar - amount to taste - or without sugar
• 100g water
- For the rest:
• Skimmed, semi skimmed or full milk, almond milk, soy milk or whatever you prefer, to fill ¾ of each glass.
- Steps to follow
• Place the butterfly whisk in the Thermomix® with all of the ingredients of the cream and set it to 3 minutes, 37ºC, speed 3 and a half.
• Serve ¾ of milk in the glasses - cold or with ice, to taste- and distribute the cream on top. You will be left with a creamy coffee, ready to enjoy. We advise you drink it straight away.
Sugar-free or decaffeinated Dalgona Coffee
If you don’t want to include sugar, you can enjoy this same recipe without adding any type of refined sugar, you can replace it with sweeteners, or don’t add anything. You can also make the recipe with decaffeinated instant coffee. It's just as good!