Discover the properties and benefits of acai. A fruit that helps you lose weight, increases your energy and prevents diseases. We will tell you what it is and what its benefits are.
TRIED AND TESTED11 February 2020
What is açai?
Acai is the fruit of a palm tree that grows in the humid and rainy areas of northern South America, especially in Brazil, but also in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador or Venezuela. Dark purple and smaller in size than a grape, this fruit is increasingly consumed outside its country of origin,and is a very important food in the Amazonian diet. The natives have always eaten it due to its multiple benefits.
Most of the acai, or açai in Portuguese, is a seed. The rest is the pulp that is squeezed to make juices, one of the most common ways to consume the fruit. Its flavour is a mixture between raspberry and grape. The global demand for this berry has multiplied in recent years, especially in the United States and in Europe.
Acai Nutritional Value
Sus nutrientes se encuentran en la cáscara y en la pulpa. Cada 100 gramos de pulpa de açaí contiene 10 g proteínas, 35 g de fibra, 36 g de hidratos de carbono y 4,5 g de grasas “saludables” o insaturadas.
Main benefits and properties of acai
• Acai has a very high concentration of antioxidants (up to 30 times more than grapes). These antioxidants reduce the effects of aging and fight free radicals.
• This fruit contains a large amount of fibre that helps the digestive system.
• It is recommended for athletes or very active people to be rich in vegetable protein, which helps ensure a higher level of energy and endurance.
• Strengthens the defences thanks to its ellagic acid content. It contains essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 and 6, especially involved in the functions of cell membranes. It also stands out for its purifying power and its contribution of calcium.
• It helps regulate cholesterol. Its contribution of fibre, its antioxidant effect and its high content of omegas make it difficult to absorb fats preventing them from becoming bad cholesterol (LDL), making it a good option to combat and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
How to consume acai
There are many ways to introduce acai into our diet. Perhaps the most popular way is to consume it in juice or a smoothie. Acai drinks are very popular and are considered one of the best energy drinks by many athletes. In addition, we can find it in energy bars, candies and, of course, we can eat the whole fruit. It can also be taken as a powder, in capsules or as a food supplement. We can add it to our salads or add them to the increasingly popular bowls along with other ingredients. In fact, the "acai bols" have sneaked into the menus of many establishments. We can take it for breakfast along with yogurt, nuts, seeds and other fruits. Delicious as well as healthy!