Empedrat: A Bean Salad Recipe
We are going to tell you how to prepare the traditional Catalan and Valencian dish, Empedrat - a delicious white bean salad.
on today's menu14 February 2020
The traditional Catalan and Valencian dish, Empedrat, is a bean-based salad. As well as being a healthy, nutritious dish, Empedrat is also a quick and easy meal to prepare at home. Beans are the main ingredient of this dish, but chickpeas can be used instead without it losing its essence. In fact, it is quite common for Empedrat to be made with chickpeas. The legumes are usually mixed with cod flakes and vegetables such as tomatoes, onions or peppers. However, as is common with such recipes, the way that it is prepared varies depending on the area concerned. It is a refreshing dish, which is ideal for hot days, picnics or your lunchbox at work.
If we have a can of beans and some desalted cod at home, it takes us no longer than five minutes to prepare an Empedrat. That is why it is great for people who like traditional recipes, but do not have the time to cook.
Ingredients for 4 people
500g of white beans
300g of desalted cod loins
2 red peppers
2 green peppers
1. If you are using dried beans, you will need to leave them to soak the night before. Drain the beans and cook them in the saucepan. If you are using a fast saucepan, twenty minutes will be long enough, but if you are using a normal saucepan, you will need to cook the beans for two hours. The quickest way to prepare this dish is to used cooked beans. Put the beans in a bowl and leave them on the side.
2. Cod loins can also be bought in two different forms. You can either desalt them yourself at home or buy them already desalted. If you choose to desalt them yourself, wash them to get rid of any surface salt and soak them in water for 48 hours, changing the water twice a day. If the cod is already prepared, simply crumble it up and add it to the beans.
3. Wash it, and cut the onion, tomatoes and peppers into small slices before adding them to the bowl.
4. Cook the eggs, remove the shells, cut them into slices and then add them to the bowl. Mix the salad well.
5. Season the dish with salt, oil and vinegar, then leave it in the fridge for an hour so that it is fresh when served.