How to make the perfect mojito
Learn how to make a mojito and delight everyone this summer with the perfect mojito. Ingredients, recipe, options… We tell you everything!
on today's menu
Rum, lime juice, sugar, soda and mint. Just saying the word mojito can take us on a journey in our minds to a night in La Habana. Although the origins of this popular cocktail are different, the legend tells us that the inventor of this refreshing drink was Sir Francis Drake. It is said that the origin of this famous cocktail took place in the 16th century at the hands of this English pirate, who was one of the most famous pirates of his time.
From then until now, the Cuban mojito has continued to gain popularity. In fact, today there are more than one hundred different ways to prepare a good mojito. There are some spectacular varieties to suit the most demanding of palates, despite the fact that the original recipe continues to be people’s favourite. We tell you how to prepare the perfect mojito in just five steps.
- 2 teaspoons of white sugar
- 8 mint leaves (or 2 sprigs of mint)
- 30 ml lime juice
- 60 ml Cuban rum
- 1/2 lime, sliced or in quarters
- 120 ml soda (carbonated water in a siphon)
- Chopped or crushed ice
- A few drops of Angostura (optional)
Recipe for a Cuban mojito
It is a very easy cocktail that can be ready in just a few minutes, which makes it ideal for receiving friends at home and enjoying a Cuban experience.
- A large part of the secret of a mojito is the mint. So, when preparing the leaves, you need to be very careful not to damage them. You simply want the aromas to be released.
- Then put the sugar in the bottom of a glass, if possible, a tall glass. It is important to know that mojitos are prepared directly in the glass without the need of a cocktail shaker. Pour the lime juice and dilute the sugar using the pestle of a pestle and mortar.
- Now, take the mint leaves and gently crush them with the pestle, pressing them against the sugar at the bottom of the glass. Remember, it is important not to mash them.
- Pour the rum into the glass and fill it with crushed ice. Using plenty of crushed ice is the best option, as the ice takes up more space in the glass and makes it cooler.
- Fill the cocktail with soda, finish off with a few drops of Angostura (optional) and stir gently. Decorate the mojito with a sprig of mint and a slice of lime and serve it with a straw.
If you want to enjoy this refreshing cocktail with the rest of the family, including the little ones, you also have the option of an alcohol-free mojito.
Recipe for an alcohol-free Cuban mojito
- Cut the limes into segments and place the segments of half a lime into each glass. Add a spoonful of sugar and four mint leaves to each glass and gently crush them on the bottom of the glass using the pestle of a pestle and mortar.
- Add crushed ice until the glass is two-thirds full. Add the juice of one lime to each glass and finish off with the soda or a fizzy drink.
- Decorate the mojitos with slivers or slices of lime and they are ready to go!