How to make homemade ice cream
Do you want to make homemade ice cream, but you don't know where to start? We'll tell you everything you need to know to make delicious ice cream at home.
on today's menu
Ice cream is a frozen food that is usually made with dairy products and has a sweet taste, although these days it has all kinds of flavours and ingredients. Now we'll show you how to make great homemade ice cream.
How to make artisanal ice cream
The mixture for homemade ice cream is English cream, sugar, yolks, milk and/or cream, and some flavourings. And the trick for making it just right is that the cream never boils, radically lowering its temperature when it is at the right point (when the cream completely covers a spoon without falling off).
And an essential element to make the ice cream perfect is its creaminess. To achieve a creamy ice cream, we recommend that the water crystals it contains be so small that they are imperceptible. For this to work, freeze a mixture of water with the right ingredients and stir it well (beat it while cooling). This way we get a frozen, but rich and creamy consistency.
Homemade ice cream recipe
This is a simple recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream.
- 290 ml whipped cream
- 290 ml of evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 90 g sugar
- 1teaspoon of vanilla extract or seeds
1. Mix the yolks together with milk, sugar and vanilla.
2. Put it on a low heat in a saucepan, stirring constantly until it thickens (if you have a thermometer, until it reaches 75ºC, but not exceeding 85ºC). Scrape the bottom continuously, as this is where it usually sets faster.
3. Once the mixture has thickened, cover the saucepan with clingfilm, letting it touch the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Leave it in the fridge all night, so the flavours settle.
4. Whip the cream until it is semi-firm and add to the mixture gradually with folding movements. Let it cool again for half an hour.
5. If you have an ice cream maker, the procedure is simple: place the mixture in the bowl and leave it stirring for 10/15 minutes. If you don't have one, this can be done by hand. After this time place the mixture in the freezer and give it a good stir with a spatula every half hour, until it freezes completely.
We recommend removing the ice cream from the freezer 10 minutes before serving, to make it creamier.
It can be accompanied by wafers, syrup, fruits of the forest... the possibilities are endless. So now it's your turn to find that balance between creativity and flavour.