Orange sponge cake: fluffy and homemade
We tell you how to make an easy and fluffy homemade cake step by step. Learn the recipe for this delicious homemade dessert.
on today's menu21 January 2020
Although there are a thousand combinations when it comes to making cakes, few are as moist, fluffy and easy to make as an orange sponge cake. This is mainly due to the fruit juice, which makes the dough lighter and keeps the cake moist for a few days.
It's easy to make by simply following the steps you would to make a yoghurt cake, measuring the quantities in the same container.
Homemade orange sponge cake ingredients
- 1 natural yoghurt (125 g)
- 3 eggs
- 3 measures of flour yoghurt
- 2 measures of sugar yoghurt
- 1 large orange
- 1 measure of olive oil yogurt (choose the variety you prefer for a more or less intense flavour)
- 1 16 g sachet of yeast powder
- Baking paper or butter to spread on the mould
How to make orange sponge cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, grate the orange skin orange without the white part and put to one side.
3. Peel the orange completely, remove the segments and chop them finely. Put them to one side in a bowl.
4. Add the sugar, eggs, orange zest, oil and yogurt along with the orange segments to the bowl and mix with a blender until you have as smooth a mixture as possible.
5. Then sieve the flour and yeast into the mixture so they are free of lumps. Beat it all again until the mixture is completely uniform.
6. Choose a mould, which can be the classic round 23 cm or a 20 cm rectangular one. Spread some butter around the inside with your finger or a kitchen brush, or you can use oven paper. Make sure your cake doesn't get stuck to the mould.
7. Pour the mix into the mould and place it in the middle of the oven and bake at 180 °C for about 35 minutes.
8. To check if it's ready, prick it with a toothpick and if it comes out completely dry the cake is perfect. If not, leave it a few more minutes.
9. Turn off the oven, take the cake out and let it cool for a few minutes before removing the mould. Let it cool completely before consuming.