Prawns properties and main benefits
Discover the main properties of prawns, a food that contains a high nutritional and protein value. Know its main benefits.
on today's menu22 January 2020
The prawn is a 10-legged crustacean with an elongated tail and compressed body. It differs from the shrimp, mainly because of its size, since it can reach 20 cm. Grayish when raw and pinker once cooked, this type of seafood has the advantage that it can be bought both fresh and frozen. So, they can be consumed at any time of the year. According to the OCU, 95% of them are sold frozen and a third already cooked.
Characteristic of the Mediterranean coast, it can be eaten cooked accompanied by a sauce (pink, mayonnaise, Béarnaise, sauce américaine), or natural, although it is commonly eaten roasted, griddled or grilled. Vinaròs or Santa Pola prawns are famous, in the Valencia Region, San Carlos de la Rápita, on the coast of Tarragona and Sanlúcar de Barrameda and Chipiona, in Cadiz.
Nutritional properties of prawns
La carne del langostino nos aporta proteínas y tiene poca grasa, aunque destaca por su contenido en ácidos grasos Omega-3. Otros nutrientes destacados son el yodo, el fósforo, el selenio, el calcio, el magnesio y el zinc, entre los minerales; y las vitaminas B12 y B3. Por otro lado, su contenido en colesterol es elevado, por lo que se deberá tener en cuenta en el caso de dietas especiales.
Shrimp meat gives us protein and is low in fat, although it is notable for its Omega-3 fatty acid content. Other outstanding nutrients are iodine, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, magnesium and zinc, among minerals; and vitamins B12 and B3. On the other hand, it is high in cholesterol, which should be taken into account if following special diets.
How to cook them
- Cooked prawns:
- Boil the water by adding 60 grammes of salt per litre of water and wait for it to come to the boil.
- Once boiling, put the prawns in the water and wait for the water to boil again. Once it boils again, cook them for two minutes and remove them.
- The best way to enjoy the taste is to peel them when consuming them, but they can also be peeled before if they are to be used for a special dish.
- A la plancha:
- Heat the grill or frying pan with a little oil and remove with paper.
- When the grill is hot put the prawns on.
- Salt them and wait until they are done first on one side and then on the other. Salt them again. Be careful with the point of doneness, since if they are overdone, they dry out.