First-time depilation: everything you need to know
Is this your first-time using depilation? Don't worry about a thing! We’ll show you the best methods and offer the best tips so you can choose the method you like best.
health and beauty
Although we adults undergo different, more or less painful, depilation methods to get rid of unwanted hair on our bodies, it’s different when it comes to our children. We feel the need to protect them and find the best approach so they experience first-time depilation in the best possible way. The aim is that the process is not traumatic or painful. You can learn more below about the different depilatory methods available on the market. This way, you can decide which one best matches your specific situation.
When should one use depilation for the first time?
Most concerns over unwanted hair generally emerge in adolescence, around age 12 or 13. On one hand, this is when hair appears in new body areas or becomes more visible in places where it was previously unnoticeable. On the other, it’s at this point adolescents also become more concerned about their appearance.
For some boys and girls who’ve not yet reached puberty, this change occurs earlier due to factors like how much hair they have or their skin tone. In these cases, there are less drastic alternatives to depilation, for example, applying bleaching cream. This can be a first step in hiding slightly darker hair since chemical bleaching makes it lighter and barely visible to the eye.
First-time depilation methods
Nowadays, there are different methods you can use for doing first-time depilation. Take note!
Traditional hair-removal methods
Shaving, including with a disposable razor
- Pros: It’s a very quick and painless method for first-time hair removal.
- Cons: It’s not very effective. Hair returns after a few days and is stronger since it is not removed from the root. In addition, if the skin is not properly exfoliated, it can cause irritation or infection.
- Pros: removes hair quickly, superficially and painlessly.
- Cons: It’s not very effective. Hair returns after a few days and is stronger since it is not removed from the root. In addition, it may cause skin irritation if the manufacturer's instructions are not followed.
- Pros: Removes hair by the root, so it takes longer to grow back.
- Cons: It’s an effective method, but somewhat painful, especially if cold wax is used. So, we recommend you follow the manufacturer's instructions correctly, or go to a professional to have it done.
- Pros: The razor machine heads remove hair from the root, so it takes longer to grow back.
- Cons: It’s a rather painful and can irritate the skin.
Permanent hair removal methods
Permanent hair removal methods such as laser or photo-epilation are the most effective methods over the long term; after a few sessions the hair disappears completely. But, these methods are not often recommended for first-time depilation. This is because hormonal instability during puberty makes results non-definitive until it subsides.
Issues to consider with first-time depilation
- When undergoing first-time depilation, we should clarify to an adolescent that hair serves a fundamental role in some areas, namely as protection. So, removing it can be harmful to one’s health.
- After first-time depilation, skin care plays an important role. It’s important to soothe the skin afterwards with aloe vera and later on with body milk so the area does not become dried out.
- To wrap up, the most important thing is to instil in adolescents that a person should do things to feel good about themselves and not to fit in with society or because of dreaded "peer pressure".