With its elongated, flat, oval body, the name of this fish comes from the yellow colour between its eyes. It is one of the most prized fish from our coastal waters and its versatility in the kitchen is infinite.
The golden bream lives in warm, shallow waters, with a sandy or stony sea floor. Their reproductive period lasts from September to December and each female can lay up to 2 million eggs per kilo of weight. Spawning lasts between 2 and 3 months. The adult specimens that we find in the supermarket are between 18 and 24 months old and weigh, on average, about 400 grams.
Benefits of eating bream
• White fish with lean flesh and, therefore, low in fats and calories.
• Rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
• Easy to digest.
• Rich in proteins of high biological value.
• Recommended for people with a delicate stomach, who want to lose weight, or who are following a diet to help their cardiovascular system.
• With its antioxidant properties, it is also beneficial for the eyesight.
Advice on buying and storing bream
When we go to the supermarket, we must make sure the fish has been kept on a bed of crushed ice. The fish should not be displayed in a large heap, and should have been placed on a sloped surface that allows liquid to flow away.
We must consider:
• Overall appearance: full-bodied, soft to the touch, bright, transparent.
• Gills: red or bright burgundy, separated into layers, with no mucus; should smell fresh.
• Eyes: bright, transparent, moist but without mucus, protruding (depending on the species, straight or convex), pupils dark and shiny.
• Skin and scales: shiny, smooth, moist and without mucus (except in some species).
From our website to your kitchen
The best-known form of preparation is to bake the bream in salt, although we can prepare it in many different ways: seared on the grill, filleted with the skin down, steamed with a pepper sauce… and so on.
Product of our seas
In Consum's fish section, you will find tagged golden bream and sea bass. Identified by the seal of quality, 'Crianza de nuestros mares'(Product of our seas), this guarantees that it is 100% of national origin and offers excellent guarantees of freshness and quality.